Of course I’m thankful for the important stuff in my life – my wife, my kids, our health, my job, our extended family, etc. That goes without saying. At the same time, I think you can be grateful for the odd things in our lives, or the things that may not be quite as important. Those experiences or opportunities still shape who we are and may lead us down one path or another. I don’t think recognizing the less important things in life is in any way vain or shallow.
Here are a few of mine…
1. Date night with the wife. We have two kids, ages two and four. I have a job. My wife has a night job. We don’t spend very many evenings together, and even when we do, it’s often spent family planning, grocery shopping or running quick errands before the stores close. We try to have a date night once a week or so. Sometimes a movie, sometimes just dinner at Chick-Fil-A, but I’m always thankful for those few precious minutes alone with my wife.
2. Riding My Bike. There is something priceless to me about getting on my bike for a solid 2-hour ride. This usually happens before work, and also before the sun rises. If I can squeeze in a good 35 or 40 mile ride before my day really begins, my day just seems to come together nicely. Most of the time it’s an opportunity for me to get away from everybody, and everything, and challenge myself physically and mentally on my own. I love being on my bike.
3. Social Media. I have personal accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I use them all extensively throughout the day. As is the purpose of social media, I’ve been able to connect with old friends, share experiences and photos with them, and be apart of their lives a little bit more. Most of my friends do not live near me, so my social accounts have indeed been a blessing to help me strengthen and renew old friendships.
4. Good Pizza. I love pizza. I absolutely love it. As a kid growing up in Southern California, Lampost Pizza was the best. Now living in Arizona, Barro’s is my spot. When I need something a little more upscale, Grimaldi’s has me covered. There are few things that I enjoy as much as a regular crust pizza with pepperoni and sausage.
5. Dr. Pepper. Let’s just be honest. If you drink soda, then who doesn’t love an ice cold Dr. Pepper. The perfect blend of 23 flavors offers the most enjoyable soft drink on the planet. I drink it after my long rides. I drink it watching a good basketball or football game. I drink it to keep me awake at my desk. If I can find any justifiable reason to drink, I will. Am I drinking one right now? Indeed, I am!
We all have lots to be thankful for this holiday season. Family and health come first. Then come the rest of the little things that make up the rest of our day.
Happy Thanksgiving from Bulwark Exterminating.
November 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm Comments (0)