“Sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite” was once a cute little phrase our parents said to us as they tucked us in for the night. Bed bugs are now a problem with a solution that is far from cute. Decades ago, bed bug incidents were everywhere worldwide, for some time it died down and now they are coming back with a vengeance, unfortunately.
Bed bugs travel via clothing, luggage, bedding, so if you have come back from vacation or store items in your suitcase, it is best to clean any bags or suitcases along with the clothing or bedding items inside. If you have just bought something brand new from the store, whether it is an article of clothing or a new bed spread, it is advised to clean it thoroughly first before putting anywhere near you or your family.
First of all, the best way to keep bed bugs out of your home is strictly taking preventative measures. If you already know you have an infestation of bed bugs then here are a series of steps to show you how you can get rid of them.
Steps to ride yourself of bed bugs
1. Take a look at the infested area and surrounding living quarters.
2. Clean off and strip clothing and/or bedding of infested area.
3. Reduce any clutter that may be around, clutter just encourages bugs to congregate.
4. To physically clean clothing and/or bedding in a NON CHEMICAL way, you can:
- Put bedding in washer, wash regularly and then stick in your dryer at a very high heat ( 110°F or higher). The high temperatures will kill the bugs.
5. To physically clean clothing and/or bedding WITH CHEMICALS, you can:
- Use an integrated pest management (IPM) strategy to control the infestation which is three steps. Sanitize, apply chemicals, preventative measures.
- There is thousands of bed bug products that are available for the average consumer to use that are approved by the EPA. A pest control store professional can help you choose the right product for use against the bugs.
- If one product does not work, clean the items off again, before applying a new product.
6. DO NOT BOMB YOUR HOUSE! And I am not talking about the military kind, even though you may feel like it…I am talking about the bug bombs you get at the local grocery store. These do NOTHING. Visit your local pest control store, where professionals can give you better quality and more effective products to help you get rid of those bed bugs within your budget and without harming you and your loved ones. Bombs are harmful to you, your family and your pets and all they do to your house and bug problem is leave a weird smell and disgusting residue.
7. You can always resort to hiring a professional.
8. If you are returning home from a trip, even if it was from your mother’s house, unpack everything directly into the washer, and if possible, even wash the bag your items were in. If you can’t wash your suitcase, sanitize it to the best of your ability before putting it near any clean areas.
The EPA – Environmental Prevention agency has a great guide on Pest Control and Pesticide Safety which you can get out and even download to print at http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/Publications/Cit_Guide/citguide.pdf. You can also check out a detailed run down of bed bugs, there life cycle, and different solutions at http://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/.
Catriona M. is a professional content writer for SaatvaMattress.com. Catriona loves to go shopping and trying new foods.
Guest Post Published by Bulwark